Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Miss P and that injury - 4 things I learned

It was a big old last week for us at chez Laney. In a nutshell, we ended up back at hospital for Miss P to have her wounds stitched after being referred back there by our doctor. Apparently, the glue did not look like it had taken. I knew something wasn't quite right when the nurse took off the bandage. It looked too raw, like it had barely healed. It actually turned my stomach a bit.

So we packed a bag and prepared for the possibility of wound repair back at the hospital. It was a really long day/night but I'm so glad we were looked after and that Miss P will now heal nicely and with less of a scar.

And I learnt a lot. I learnt things that I kicked myself for not knowing about or asking about. But it's always nice to take home a lesson or two when you come through the end of something a bit arduous. Now I can pass it on to you, just in case you're ever in a similar place with one of your kids. Of course I hope you never need the following info. But just in case....

Here's 4 things I learned about our hospital experience:

1. Glue vs. stitches. I learned that there is a bit of debate amongst the medics about which treatment to use for lacerations. One side says that for deeper cuts, stitches are far more effective. Another opinion is that glue treatment avoids the trauma of having to put a child under general anaesthetic. All I know is that my much-trusted doctor was frustrated that they didn't just go with stitches in the first place. She said that because the deep cut had gone through muscular layers, the glue would have been compromised by the skin moving with facial expressions etc. This makes total sense to me. I wish I'd enquired more about it at the time with the hospital staff. I felt terrible having to drag Miss P back to hospital when she should have been well on the mend.

2. Plastic surgeons are like artists for the skin. When I watched the plastic surgeon assess Miss P's original, glued laceration, I imagined that for him, it was like seeing a drawing that had been coloured outside the lines. Don't you just love seeing someone who is passionate about their work? I was so relieved that he wanted to fix it, even though it meant having to go through the whole general anaesthetic ordeal. He said that if we left it like it was, it might take a long time to heal, be prone to infection, and leave a significant scar. It's times like these when I think, yes, plastic surgeons deserve all the money they make.

3. Going under. Initially, I was really nervous about Miss P going under a general anaesthetic. I thought I'd be in pieces about it. But I was surprised how calm I felt when it was all happening, Weird how the mind quickly adapts to things you think you can't handle. It all happened very quickly. One minute she was playing with the little mask they'd given her, chatting away about balloons, the next, her eyelids started to droop and then she was asleep. I say minutes, but it actually took about 12 seconds to fall asleep. It was actually quite sweet. Of course I still cried a little bit. But I didn't worry.

4. General anaesthetic rage. The anaesthetist told me that some small kids really freak out when they come to after being under a general. She said Miss P might cry more than usual and that I shouldn't be concerned if that happened. I thought, 'Hey, I'm used to Miss P and her noise'. Well. When they brought me to her just after she was roused, she was just starting to cry, which quickly progressed to all-out screaming. I held her in my arms, feeling really sorry for the other patients in the ward, while she screamed  'Mummy!' over and over again. All I could do was hold her and try to reassure her. Strangely, she had her eyes shut the whole time, as though she was still asleep. This lasted about 15 minutes and broke my heart a bit. Thankfully, we managed to quell her with a ride in the bed, cuddling up to me, back to the children's ward for recovery.

After a night in hospital for monitoring, we got to take our little Princess home the following morning. She is doing brilliantly now, and I am glad to have it all done and dusted. Life is all back to normal for us. Aside from me freaking out anytime someone in the house starts jumping/climbing or banging things about.

 I just wish they'd sit down more often. Stop running about, being all dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment